Nuxeo Platform 5.6 Release Notes
On behalf of the whole Nuxeo team, I'm really happy to announce that Nuxeo Platform 5.6 is out! Before giving you the release notes, here's the link to download the 5.6: /downloads/.
A recap of the version features, with links to the recorded webinars we held for each feature set can be found here.
Now let's get to the release notes, or what we've been doing for the past six months direclty from our CTO Thierry Delprat:
Usability ImprovementsWe try to continuously improve the usability of the default web application. At the same time, we make all the screens and the UI system as generic as possible so that your application can easily leverage the infrastructure and reuse what already exists as much as possible.
In that area, the 5.6 release comes with several changes:
CSS and Styles RefreshLike all major versions, the 5.6 includes some CSS and styling changes:
Action System ExtensionThe action system that has been used since the very beginning to manage buttons, links and tabs has been extended.
The action system now supports:
- Explicit typing of actions
- Generic renderers
- Keyboard bindings.
Layouts and Widgets EverywhereWe continue to extend the usage of the Layouts / Widgets model. Now that we have CSS-based grid layouts, this model can be used to build completely new screens. The impact on Nuxeo Platform 5.6 is the redesign of the summary tab and the ability to use the Tab Designer in Studio. This means you can now build completely new screens using Layouts and Widgets:
- Widgets can be used to render actions (based on action typing and generic renderers)
- Actions can be used to define sub-widgets
SaaS ArchitectureFirst, if you've missed it, take a look at our Cloud Infrastructure webinar held by our CEO Eric Barroca and our General Manager for Americas and Asia Brendan Coveney:
Multi-Tenant AddonThe Nuxeo Platform now supports Multi-Tenant configuration via an addon available from the Nuxeo Marketplace. This new module allows to define a tenant:
- by default a Tenant is a Domain
- per tenant users and groups management
- per tenant Directories configuration
- enforces data isolation
- leverage local configuration for storing Tenant specific configuration.
Quota ManagementThe Quota Addon has been improved to allow:
- definition of a size quota on a per-container basis
- enforcing the quota.
Modules / Packages SystemThis new version of the Nuxeo Platform comes with a lot of changes in the packaging and deployment system:
- Packaging dependency resolution system is now aligned on CUDF
- NuxeoCtl now allows better control on packages installation
- deploy custom config automatically
- support for automatic updates
- instance configuration management
- set of new commands for managing Marketplace packages
- JSON and XML outputs
- Nuxeo Marketplace packages can now be of 3 types:
- public - available to everyone
- restricted - limited to Nuxeo Online Services subscribers
- private - limit to a set of instances attached to a given Connect Contract
WorkflowThis is one of the main new features of Nuxeo Platform 5.6. The Content Routing workflow engine that was initially developed for Case Management has been deeply improved, with:
- support for graph-based routes
- Conditions, joins, jumps nodes
- Layout and form integration
- Action integration.
- Easy, flexible workflows
- Use of Nuxeo Studio as workflow editor
- Create graph routes via Nuxeo Studio
- Adjust and tweak routes from the Nuxeo UI
New featuresAs usual, this new version of Nuxeo Platform also comes with some new features.
Social CollaborationNew features have been added to the Social Collaboration module: a wall, ratings, likes, comments on activities, a new team calendar - check out Delphine's blog post for more details and screenshots! user guide for more details! Note: the Social Collaboration module is available as a public Marketplace package and can be selected at installation time via the setup wizard.
Diff ServiceThe Diff service calculates the difference between 2 documents or 2 versions of the same document. It works at several levels:
- Diff on the Document Structure and Metadata
- Diff on the binary content.
Document TemplatesThis new module generates files based on a template with merge fields, featuring:
- support for multiple file formats (docx, odt, xls, html )
- use as an extension to the rendition system
- possibility to bind one or more templates to a document.
Mobile Web UI for the Nuxeo PlatformThe Nuxeo Platform now provides a Web UI dedicated to mobile devices. This web interface, based on HTML5 and jQuery Mobile, uses Apache Cordova to provide native bindings. You'll get:
- “App” packaging
- suspend / resume
- FileSystem interactions.
Misc Infrastructure Changes
OpenJDK 7OpenJDK is now officially supported.
- Batching Optimization: at a low level, we have improved the way VCS sends batch queries in order to reduce the number of network round trips. We have also changed the PageProvider default configuration so that listing very big folders does not generate a drop in performance.
- The VCS caching system is now pluggable.
Work ManagerA new service, WorkManager has been added and is responsible for managing long running tasks like conversions, image processing, and batch processing. This WorkManager has also become the underlying infrastructure for the Asynchronous EventListeners execution.
Hot Reload SupportWe have improved the way the Nuxeo Marketplace packages and development bundles are reloaded. This infrastructure work fixes several small problems:
- A Nuxeo Studio reload no longer breaks the theme and CSS,
- The Nuxeo IDE reload is more reliable.
Category: Product & Development
Tagged: Nuxeo Marketplace