Over the past year, Nuxeo released 5 FT (Fast Track) versions of the Nuxeo Platform. Our early adopter community has benefited from many new and innovative features introduced in these FT releases as we made the journey from Nuxeo Platform 5.8 to 6.0.
Amidst the ongoing innovation and excitement at Nuxeo, I am pleased to announce the general availability of the latest LTS version of the Nuxeo Platform, version 6.0. For those of you who don’t know what LTS mean, it stands for “Long Term Support.” These are releases that take place every year and combine the functionality from the Fast Tracks. More on the Nuxeo release process.
This latest version of the Nuxeo Platform includes major advancements in cloud readiness, performance, scalability, user productivity, mobile experience and interoperability. I’ll take you through some of the highlights of 6.0. Over the next few weeks, we will post more specifically about the benefits to developers, admins, and users.
Performance and Scalability
One of our goals is to be the most scalable and cloud ready ECM platform. With the inclusion of Elasticsearch, the Nuxeo Platform has added a very powerful, scalable, and versatile index engine. This enables the horizontal scaling of the query engine, acting also as a high-level data cache independent from the database, and tuning of each system, providing incredibly high-speed search and virtually unlimited scalability. Another major milestone is the addition of MongoDB as a NoSQL-backend storage option offering high flexibility, easy sharding and replication capabilities. The Nuxeo Platform 6.0 also adds strong capabilities for developing, customizing, and deploying cloud based applications on public and private clouds. In fact, the Nuxeo 6.0 architecture is well tuned to take advantage of scaling out on AWS and other cloud providers.
Nuxeo Platform 6.0 cloud, performance and scalability enhancements:
- Elasticsearch powered query engine that is fully compatible with the Nuxeo Platform existing query languages and APIs, enabling distributed, parallel search query execution - Existing Nuxeo Platform customers can switch to Elasticsearch without changing their applications
- Redis-backed distributed job infrastructure, enabling fault-tolerant long running jobs (ex: video conversion, document rendering, etc.)
- New JSON-based persistence engine - in addition to the SQL-based engine
- Freeform storage and indexing of audit log entries making the audit log a powerful data store for reporting and analytics powered by Elasticsearch
- Native support for faceted search in Nuxeo Studio
- Addition of a Docker and CoreOS based PaaS infrastructure for Nuxeo applications that completely automates and controls large Nuxeo Platform clusters
For Our Users
It will not matter what Nuxeo Platform developers build if the end users don’t use it. Keeping this in mind, the Nuxeo Platform 6.0 provides major improvements in user productivity. Nuxeo Platform users benefit from improvements in look and feel, search, and in the authoring, loading and management of content.
New features for users include:
- New Spreadsheet Mode allows users to have a spreadsheet like user interface for bulk-editing metadata. This new add-on allows the users to edit data in the repository in a spreadsheet-like grid.
- New support for collections, also called lightbox for digital asset management users, are lightweight containers for objects Facets are now available on any content listing.
- Content listings powered by Elasticsearch that create optimized, efficient and dynamic views for users, including on-demand column selection.
- Bulk creation and import from the main interface with the ability to set metadata, tags and collections for all new documents.
Mobile and iOS
With the release of the Nuxeo Platform 6.0, Nuxeo provides greater support for building and accessing applications from mobile devices. Nuxeo has released a native iOS application for the iPad to allow users to view and manage their repositories as well as new SDKs to connect to and build mobile content management applications.
New mobile features include:
- Native SDKs for iOS and Android
- Native iPad application to browse content, with selective offline sync
- Mobile Web UI for browser based mobile access to the platform
Integration and interoperability
Nuxeo Platform 6.0 can connect to many existing enterprise platforms and applications through open standards and middleware, such as the Mule Enterprise Service Bus. The Platform API also supports rapid building of custom integrations.
Integrations and interoperability features include:
- New native connector for the Mule Enterprise Service Bus, exposing the complete REST API, allowing Nuxeo Platform applications to exchange data and trigger workflow and business automation
- SAML2 and OAuth2 support for delegated authentication
- SCIM for user management
- Support for CMIS 1.1
- Ability to access the Elasticsearch query engine from CMIS
Nuxeo Platform 6.0 provides the best developer platform
The Nuxeo Platform was already great for building applications but with 6.0, the Nuxeo Platform widens its lead in the industry by providing developers with the most powerful and agile platform to build content based applications. The platform is easily extended thanks to its plugin infrastructure and next generation architecture.
Developer oriented features include:
- REST API improvements and enhancements including new query endpoints, additional support for building connectors with auto-discovery mode and content enrichers for quickly building client side applications
- Elasticsearch powered query engine
- New JSON-based storage engine for the repository
- New productivity tools in Studio for developers including workflow and forms
- Seamless cloud development for lightweight coding with Codenvy
- Continued forward compatibility
- Advanced Desktop Sync features: metadata edit, integration with web applications
Over the next few weeks, we will bring out more information about Nuxeo 6.0. Including a “what’s new” webinar hosted by one of our Solution Architects, Josh Fletcher on November 18 at 3 PM Eastern Standard Time. Don’t forget to register for it! If you can’t attend the live webinar, the recording will be available for you.
You can, as always, download the Nuxeo Platform 6.0 immediately.
Now that we have released the LTS, we are getting ready for the next Fast Track!