At Nuxeo, we’re seeing an uptick in requests for digital asset management in the context of larger content management applications, so that “digital assets” become in fact “business assets,” which can be a video game, a museum artifact, a gadget for sale on an e-commerce site, or whatever the organization defines as content. The common thread is the necessity to manage business workflows and interactions that are centered on some type of defined content, and often connect to other types content and systems inside and outside the organization.
So, what do we mean by a “platform approach” to digital asset management?
- A “digital asset” models the business concept it represents – more than a simple audio, video, or image file, it can be a complex object, with relationships to other objects and custom metadata.
- The DAM application strategy is mapped to a broader content management strategy, with connections and workflows that follow the path of business processes.
- A single repository for all types content - DAM, document management, case management - across the application portfolio, for an inclusive, connected way of managing assets across the enterprise.
A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are a few use cases that illustrate the platform approach:
- Netflix is using Nuxeo DAM to manage the images that represent movies with a case management paradigm. The image is developed at Netflix, with one “digital asset” item containing multiple images - for different devices, and with multiple designer source files, for example from Photoshop. The digital asset follows a custom workflow until it’s published.
- The Indianapolis Museum of Art has built a solution to track both the content and the processes at the museum, such as exhibition history, the artists represented by the collection, project documents, and other relevant artifacts. The goal is to click on a piece of artwork and have immediate access to all the knowledge there is about it, such as exhibitions, loans, photos, videos, and the artist.
- Electronic Arts is using the concept of a “digital asset” to represent a video game build. The asset contains audio, images, and other metadata to track access and distribution through global sites.
To find out more about Nuxeo’s solution for digital asset management, you can join our upcoming webinars:
Digital Asset Management Software. Find out more about the benefits of a platform approach and how it helps you map your DAM strategy to a broader content management strategy.
- Wednesday, March 20, 2 p.m. ET.
Digital Asset Management: What’s New. Get a preview demo of the new features for digital asset management in the upcoming release of the Nuxeo Platform.
- Tuesday, March 26, 2 p.m. ET (in English)
- Tuesday, March 26, 15h (Paris) (en français)