Resolving the Digital Asset Platform Conundrum
After years of IT heroism, your company is finally running a 100% software-enabled, fully-automated, perfect machine of a business on the absolute best and most up-to-date technology stack. You have perfect customer visibility, spectacular social and mobile customer acquisition, and flawless service. Because you bought the perfect software, you never need to write customizations. Everything just works. Seems like a dream, doesn’t it?
Well, maybe not. If all your unique business logic, all your specific processes, all your particular interactions, fit perfectly into out of the box software, then every similarly situated competitor is using the same logic, processes, and interaction models. Suddenly your competitive advantage is erased.
Also, what happens when a new entrant, new market opportunity, or technology shift renders today’s perfect fit into tomorrow’s uncomfortable incompatibility?
The story above encapsulates two of the key questions buyers like you have asked since the beginning of enterprise software:
- How much should we tailor the software to our specific business? How much of how we do things is value-creating competitive advantage (implying we should build custom software or functionality) and how much is sub-best practice that we should jettison and replace with software-driven best-practices?
- How do we trade off the customization that makes us unique with the speed to adapt what we do and how we do it over time?
In the digital asset management domain, these questions have been weighing on buyers for years, but as digital assets have moved to the center of value creation, marketing, sales, and service, answering these questions correctly has become more important and urgent than ever.
You’ve historically had three options:
- Build a custom solution, perfectly suited to your business. Content-centric businesses like Amazon do just that, spending millions or billions, but getting huge returns.
- Buy an expensive enterprise-class DAM application that met 80% of your needs, then spend thousands or millions on customizations to close the functional gaps and train users. Inevitably as your business grew or changed, or new application versions were released, customizations needed to be maintained and themselves became constraints. A few years after the purchase, the system would become such a blocker for the business that the whole selection cycle would start again.
- Buy a multitenant SaaS DAM. These promised lower upfront and maintenance costs and fast adoption, but because they weren’t adaptable to your business, they made it much harder to create unique value from digital asset management processes.
If these seem like three unsatisfactory options, we agree. We think it’s time for a system that:
- Deploys as fast as any SaaS application AND also is fully configurable.
- Provides enterprise-grade integrations and military-grade security, AND also the storage, processing, and innovation speed of the cloud ecosystem.
- Can ingest or deliver assets at hyperspeed thousands of times faster than competitors AND also handles complex metadata models with ease.
- Can be configured completely to suit AND is also easy to learn and delightful to use.
At Nuxeo, we think it’s time to break out of the conundrum with a solution that is both highly tailored and easy to adapt. Nuxeo provides a cloud-native, modern architecture that provides cloud-scale storage and processing efficiency, while leveraging the benefits and innovations of industry leaders such as Amazon, Elastic, and Google. The Nuxeo Platform has a hyperscale architecture that can manage assets with complex metadata at speeds and scales that legacy systems can’t touch and features that keep users productive and engaged.